Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Book Review | We Are Pirates by Daniel Handler

We Are Pirates by Daniel Handler
Published by Bloomsbury USA on February 3, 2015
Pages: 289
Format: eARC
Source: NetGalley
Goodreads: 

Mega-bestselling author Daniel Handler (aka Lemony Snicket) gives us his long-awaited and most ambitious novel yet: a dark, rollicking, stunningly entertaining human comedy.

A boat has gone missing. Goods have been stolen. There is blood in the water. It is the twenty-first century and a crew of pirates is terrorizing the San Francisco Bay.

Phil is a husband, a father, a struggling radio producer, and the owner of a large condo with a view of the water. But he’d like to be a rebel and a fortune hunter.

Gwen is his daughter. She’s fourteen. She’s a student, a swimmer, and a best friend. But she’d like to be an adventurer and an outlaw.

Phil teams up with his young, attractive assistant. They head for the open road, attending a conference to seal a deal.

Gwen teams up with a new, fierce friend and some restless souls. They head for the open sea, stealing a boat to hunt for treasure.

We Are Pirates is a novel about our desperate searches for happiness and freedom, about our wild journeys beyond the boundaries of our ordinary lives.

Also, it’s about a teenage girl who pulls together a ragtag crew to commit mayhem in the San Francisco Bay, while her hapless father tries to get her home.
REVIEW

Sometimes I finish a book and I have no idea how to rate it. That was the case with We Are Pirates, and it took me hours of thinking upon completion of the book to be able to formulate my thoughts into words and into a star rating. Let me begin by saying this is one of the most disturbing books I've ever read, and it's classified as adult for that reason. There is violence, crude language, and some sexual content. I definitely recommend this book for mature readers only. 

We Are Pirates is a novel that I picked up purely because Daniel Handler's name was written on the cover. I've never read anything by him before, so I wanted to give his work a try. I expected a fun fantasy story about pirates, and I could not have been more wrong. We Are Pirates is the ultimate family drama. Readers follow the Needle family as an unnamed narrator is relating the story from some point in the future. The book is divided to follow dad Phil, a radio producer in a struggling marriage, as he travels to a conference with his young assistant, and his fourteen-year-old daughter Gwen in separate yet intertwining points-of-view. 

When the story begins, Gwen attempts to steal from the local drugstore, and is sentenced to one month of volunteering at a nearby nursing home. She's partnered up with Errol, a senile old man who asks Gwen to read to him from the pirate books he owns. Soon Gwen becomes enamored with the life of pirates, and decides to put together her own pirate gang and leave her family behind forever. 

We Are Pirates is separated into two parts of equal size. The first part was a bit slow-going for me, as it took me a while to get used to Handler's writing style. It reminded me of JK Rowling's voice in The Casual Vacancy, but of course the stories are quite different. Despite my reluctance at the beginning of the novel, once part two of the story began, I could not put the book down, and flew through it until the end. I will admit, however, I had to take short breaks to process the action. We Are Pirates is very heavy in substance. 

While labeled as a dark comedy, I truly saw nothing funny in We Are Pirates. I didn't laugh while reading, but instead felt shocked and sad, and I cringed a lot. I had to keep reminding myself that this book is a work of fiction because Handler does an amazing job of making the story feel real. It's an unbelievable tale, and I honestly cannot find the purpose in it besides making a comment on humanity. I questioned Handler's sanity at many points while reading We Are Pirates. Who, in his right mind, could even concoct such a tale?!

I know this review is vague and you're probably curious as to why I'm so disturbed after reading We Are Pirates. The only way to cure this is to pick up the novel and read it yourself. If you're even remotely interested in it, I recommend this read with the disclaimer that the contents may shock you. I ended up rating this book a four out of five stars as the beginning of the book was difficult to get into, but I truly did love the writing style. Handler's prose is amazingly done,  and I especially enjoyed the descriptive language and how the story is weaved together. We Are Pirates is a book that is going to stay with me for a very long time. 

BUY THE BOOK


When you purchase a book through the Amazon or Book Depository links above, I earn a small commission through each website's affiliate program. All opinions are my own. See my Disclosure Policy for more information. 

No comments:

Post a Comment