Published by W. W. Norton & Company on September 2, 2014
Genres: Adult, Fiction, Historical Fiction, Contemporary
Pages: 288
Format: ARC
Source: Goodreads Giveaway
Goodreads: ★★★★
An Italian Wife is the extraordinary story of Josephine Rimaldi—her joys, sorrows, and passions, spanning more than seven decades. The novel begins in turn-of-the-century Italy, when fourteen-year-old Josephine, sheltered and naive, is forced into an arranged marriage to a man she doesn't know or love who is about to depart for America, where she later joins him. Bound by tradition, Josephine gives birth to seven children. The last, Valentina, is conceived in passion, born in secret, and given up for adoption.
Josephine spends the rest of her life searching for her lost child, keeping her secret even as her other children go off to war, get married, and make their own mistakes. Her son suffers in World War I. One daughter struggles to assimilate in the new world of the 1950s American suburbs, while another, stranded in England, grieves for a lover lost in World War II. Her granddaughters experiment with the sex, drugs, and rock-and-roll in the 1970s. Poignant, sensual, and deeply felt, An Italian Wife is a sweeping and evocative portrait of a family bound by love and heartbreak.
REVIEW
I was extremely excited when I won An Italian Wife from Goodreads. I'm half Italian, and grew up surrounded by Italian culture. My grandma is one of fourteen children, so I'm familiar with the food and traditions that come with being an Italian-American. I could thus relate to the characters in An Italian Wife, and I think that is one reason why I found this story so emotionally beautiful.
Hood is an amazing storyteller. Her writing is compelling, her characters are well-crafted, and her settings are pristinely described. I found An Italian Wife to be so interesting because of the dramatic events inside each chapter. I felt every emotion while reading this book – shock, sadness, happiness, relief, heartbreak, and so on. There is no denying that An Italian Wife is a great story, and one that I would definitely read again.
That being said, I did have a few problems with the organization of the book. The story is told in the third person, with the book being broken down into three parts, each based on a generation of Josephine Rimaldi's family. In the first part, readers follow Josephine as she is married off as a teenager and moved to America where she begins her family. This first section is dedicated to Josephine, and then her children. Time flies by quite quickly, and I had to try to calculate the years in my head.
Next, the second and third parts of An Italian Wife follow Josephine's grandchildren and great-grandchildren respectively. Each chapter will focus on a different character. We hear that person's story and learn about his or her life before moving onto the next family member. On the one hand, I really enjoyed this style of writing because I got to meet each of Josephine's family members on an individual basis. On the other, it was frustrating to become attached to a character only to have that person's story end on a cliffhanger and never find out what becomes of him or her. Overall, this organizational structure was quite difficult to get used to, but I did come to like it in the end.
In addition, I was often confused by the characters in the book, and had to keep referencing the family tree in the front of the novel. This is because many characters have a nickname that is used interchangeably with his or her real name. Hood also assumes that readers will understand that "Mama Jo" is "Josephine" later on in the book without any explanation. I definitely would have appreciated, if not less characters, less nicknames.
In the end, I thoroughly enjoyed An Italian Wife despite my problems with the novel's organization and confusing cast of characters. The story is just beautifully laid out, and I found it extremely touching. This is a book I would love to see adapted as a television program, as it would last several seasons thanks to the decades it spands and the great characters it follows. Producers take note!
BUY THE BOOK
When you purchase a book through the Amazon or Book Depository links above, I earn a small commission through each website's affiliate program. All opinions are my own. See my Disclosure Policy for more information.
No comments:
Post a Comment