Published by Simon & Schuster Books on February 21, 2012
Genres: Contemporary, Young Adult, Realistic Fiction
Pages: 370
Format: Kindle
Source: Purchased
Goodreads: ★★★★★
A lyrical novel about family and friendship from critically acclaimed author Benjamin Alire Sáenz.
Aristotle is an angry teen with a brother in prison. Dante is a know-it-all who has an unusual way of looking at the world. When the two meet at the swimming pool, they seem to have nothing in common.
But as the loners start spending time together, they discover that they share a special friendship—the kind that changes lives and lasts a lifetime. And it is through this friendship that Ari and Dante will learn the most important truths about themselves and the kind of people they want to be.
REVIEW
I've heard amazing things about Aristotle and Dante for months now, and decided to pick up the Kindle book when it was the Teen Daily Deal a few months back. I knew nothing about the story going into it, besides the fact that Ari and Dante were best friends. I am so glad I picked up this beautiful book, and highly recommend you do the same!
Aristotle and Dante is told from the first person in Ari's point of view and takes place over the course of two years beginning in 1987. Readers follow Ari as he meets Dante for the first time, and how their unique friendship blossoms as the two teens experience the trials and times of growing up. Ari is a unique narrator, with an easy-to-read voice that has an air of mystery. Just as Ari and Dante are trying to discover the secrets of the universe, I was seeking the secrets surrounding Ari and Dante.
Sáenz does an extraordinary job in this book when it comes to revealing secrets to the reader. Very early on in the book I had a theory about the ending that turned out the be correct. Yet despite the predictability of the story, I find that the end was not the most important message. Instead, Ari and Dante's journey to the end is extremely meaningful, and I know it will help young readers grapple with their own coming of age.
As I mentioned above, I entered Aristotle and Dante blind, and I think that is a wonderful way to experience this story. I am purposefully vague in this review, but know that I think this is an amazing book, and I can't think of one thing to criticize. If you're looking for a great, young adult contemporary to pick up, this is the perfect choice.
BUY THIS BOOK
When you purchase a book through the Amazon or Book Depository links above, I earn a small commission through each website's affiliate program. All opinions are my own. See my Disclosure Policy for more information.
No comments:
Post a Comment