- 4:00pm – Before we left on our sweet adventure, I checked the social media sites of the locations we planned on visiting. Unfortunately, two of them were already sold out. We knocked them off our list, and headed out.
- 4:45pm – We arrived at our first stop: Mille-feuille Bakery. The crowd both outside and inside this tiny bakery was large, but we headed in and waited in line. Once we got to the register we were informed: "We're out of free macarons, but you can buy one at a discount." Disappointment. We left for stop two.
- 5:00pm – We crossed our fingers as we entered our second stop: Spot Dessert Bar. Guess what? They were out of free macarons, too. Man, this wasn't fun! We checked in on the other two locations – our third still seemed promising, but our last was down to 50 macarons.... 20 minutes ago. We decided to just go to the third place and hope for the best.
- 5:15pm – Our last hope. We arrived at the Macaron Parlour where we'd been last year. Thankfully, they still had some left! While sold out of some flavors, we were able to choose from a few macaron varieties. I scored the hazelnut, which was beyond delicious. At this point I was also parched from our grand walk around lower Manhattan, so I ordered a peach iced tea. Hey, I didn't mind spending $3 at Macaron Parlour – they saved our trip!
- 6:00pm – Gina and I spent some time relaxing at Macaron Parlour, and we got there just in time. Crowds of people arrived after we did, and soon enough they were sold out.
While our Macaron Day adventure was not as epic as we'd planned, I still had fun walking around the city in the beautiful spring weather. I'm very thankful we got at least got one free macaron! Of course, I can't be too disappointed about not getting something for free, but it was definitely frustrating that shops were selling out of the free macarons at such an early time in the day. For those of us who work or are full time students, we miss out on the goodies. It seems only logical to me that shops would have a larger inventory of macarons on Macaron Day. I'm more inclined to make a purchase at your shop or return in the future if you give me a sample, especially during an event that only happens once per year.
If you're planning on taking part in Macaron Day next year, make sure you head to the shops early in the day. I even saw posts online about people who waited outside shops before they opened. Crazy, right?! And for the shops, please do us a favor and step up your game next time. People are hungry at the end of the work day, and if they take the time to come to your shop for a free macaron, they should get one.
For more information on Macaron Day, visit the event's official website here: http://macarondaynyc.com

No comments:
Post a Comment