Saturday, April 30, 2011

Broadway | Rock of Ages

Today I had every intention of seeing the new broadway show Baby It's You! Unfortunately, after waiting an hour for the box office to open, there were no rush tickets for the matinee show, only the evening performance. Luckily, Rock of Ages was directly across the street, and I was able to get a student ticket for $27. The man at the box office told me I was sitting in the last row, but that I would have a great seat, and boy was he right! Okay, so I didn't get to enjoy the flyers, guitar picks, and glitter being whipped at my head like the people in the first few rows, but I could see everything perfectly. I also got a cool plastic lighter that only the first few people in their seats received. I'll admit, I was too embarrassed to actually use it in the show, though!

Basically, Rock of Ages is another rock opera that takes a bunch of music and tries to mold it into a story. This time it's 80s rock, and although the story is kind of shady in how it fits together, I was having too much fun to care! The narrator, played by Mitchell Jarvis (or Keith Stone, for those of you that watch TV), is absolutely hilarious. His funny moves had me cracking up. That's one thing I loved about this show-- not only was the music catchy and fun, but the actors had me laughing constantly! They interact with the audience so well. I left the show smiling.

One thing I did notice about Rock of Ages is that it is not your typical broadway experience. Instead of serving wine in adult sippy cups, they sell mystery shots in test tubes and jello shots. Let's just say that you could tell which audience members bought the shots! It was cool to see which audience members have been to this show before, too-- and there were quite a few that had! They knew when to shake their jazz hands, start the slow clap, and even yelled out things at the actors. While this behavior is not acceptable for most broadway shows, at this rockin' show it fit in perfectly. 

I definitely recommend this show to anyone open to it. No kids under 16, though! Lots of scandalous outfits, and plenty of crude humor. Oh, and the main actress becomes a stripper, too. Otherwise, adults will have a great time! If you want to do student rush you only need to go about 30 minutes before the door opens. The one drawback of this show? You will not be able to stop singing "Don't Stop Believing." No, really. I'm still repeating it in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment