American Idiot is a rock opera on broadway that takes the music of Green Day and attempts to mold it into a story. The show is closing on April 24th, and since I will be home for Easter during the weekend, I knew yesterday would really be my last chance to go see it. At 5:00PM, two hours before the show, I entered the lottery in hopes to win one of twenty-five seats in the first two rows of the orchestra for only $27. Unfortunately, there were literally at least a hundred people there (if not more) and I didn't win. However, I did end up paying $37 for a "partial view" seat. A little more than I would have liked to spend, but my seat was actually pretty decent. There were only a few moments where I missed part of the action.
I'm not sure why I wanted to see this show so much. I only knew about half of the songs performed, and while it was really cool to see Billie Joe Armstrong perform live, I'm not the band's biggest fan. While the plot of the story definitely needed some work-- it's difficult to make a cohesive story with a bunch of songs that weren't written to relate-- the music was a lot of fun. If you have a chance to see it before it closes, definitely go if you like rock operas or Green Day. You'll see a great concert if nothing else. Just do me one favor-- no kids under 17! The audience was filled with little, punk teens (and even some young children!!), but this show is really not appropriate for them. The language is strong, and let's just say it sticks to the phrase "sex, drugs, and rock and roll."
American Idiot has had a great run on broadway, but after seeing it I can understand why it's to close this weekend. Once you've seen a Green Day rock opera, you don't need to see it again.
Don't do drugs, kids!
___________________________________________
IN OTHER NEWS:
If you would like to see a video from the Priscilla Queen of the Desert CD Signing I attended, click here: http://www.broadway.com/shows/priscilla-queen-desert/videos/ Bonus points if you spot me in the video!
If you would like to know more in depth information about Student Rush/General Rush/Lottery for broadway shows, check out: Broadway Informer. She does an amazing job at giving you all the info you need to know!
No comments:
Post a Comment