Sunday, March 20, 2011

Broadway | The Addams Family

Today I made my way into the city to buy student rush tickets to a broadway show. On Sundays the box office opens at noon, so I figured getting there at 11:00AM would mean a good spot in line. I was very surprised when I got there and found no one waiting at all! In fact, there were only a handful of people behind me when the box office opened. I had prepared a small list of shows that I was interested in, and got my first choice of The Addams Family. For only $37 I got a seat in the mid-mezzanine! All I had to do was show my student ID to get the ticket. 

The show was fantastic! Besides sitting behind a really tall guy (of course) I had a great view. It's was weird to think that when I saw Beauty and the Beast in the same theater (the Lunt-Fontanne), I was sitting in the fourth row. The music was very catchy, and the story was funny. Grandma was particularly hilarious. Another cool thing about the story was that it took place in the current time period, so references to pop culture were made. The one-liners were great!  In this take on the Addams Family, Wednesday falls in love with a "normal" guy, and his family comes to dinner at the Addams' residence. While Wednesday pleads with her family to act like everyday people for just one night, that isn't of course what happens. There are fights, games, and so much more. Uncle Fester even finds himself falling in love! I would definitely recommend this show for a fun family comedy on broadway. Just be aware that if you bring young children there are some obscenities. 

After the show I stayed at the theater to get my playbill signed. I usually have the cast sign the program book that I always buy as a souvenir, but since it was all black I figured the playbill was a better idea. Here is a picture of the program and signed playbill:

I had a great time at The Addams Family, and I plan on seeing a lot more broadway shows while I'm here! Many of them offer student rush tickets, and some offer general rush tickets. If you're looking for a show to see, check out this website for the shows playing and the discounts you can receive: Link

No comments:

Post a Comment