Thursday, February 17, 2011

Lesson 3: Keep Calm and Carry On

Let's be honest, things are going to happen that we're not all so happy about. If you're me, you are used to freaking out and getting pissed off at a lot of little things. When living in the fast-paced city of New York, there is no time for freaking out no matter what happens. I've noticed during my morning commute that a lot of things tend to go the opposite of how I would like them to. It begins with the small annoyances, like the computerized "Ladies and Gentleman, we are delayed because of train traffic ahead of us. Please be patient." I hear these words almost every morning (sometimes multiple times!) but there's nothing I can do about it. I have to sit (if I'm lucky enough to get a seat) there and wait for the train to keep moving. 

Then there are those things which for me at least are a pretty big deal. The first occurred a few weeks ago. The guy standing next to me on the subway started throwing up on the people sitting down in front of him. For any of you that know me, I do NOT deal with vomit! I don't even want to know when other people have a stomach ache! But what was I to do? The train was moving, we were underground, all I could do was put as much distance between him and me as possible- and believe me I did! I pushed my way through everyone to the other end of the car, took some deep breaths, and tried not to freak out. For the next few days, I was so afraid that someone was going to puke on me on the train. Of course, it can happen at any time, but there's no use worrying about it.

And then today, a bird decided to poop in my hair just as I was getting on the train. The funny thing is, I had just taken a shower and thought to myself "Hey, my hair looks good today." Not for long! When I felt that "plop" I just knew what happened. It was too late to go back home to wash my hair again, so I took the tissues out of my purse and wiped it the best I could. After the hour ride on the subway to work, I went straight to the bathroom and used a combination of paper towels, soap, and water to wash my hair the best I could. The smell was still there a little (and oh GOD did it reek), but I moved on with my day until I could get home and take another shower. Fun, fun. 

Lesson 3: Things that you don't like are going to happen to you. There's nothing you can do about it, so do your best to hold your composure and move on with your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment