Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Book Review | Honor Bound & Two Alone by Sandra Brown

I recently won a copy of Honor Bound & Two Alone, a bind-up of two Sandra Brown novels, on Goodreads. While romance novels are not my usual cup of tea, I decided to read this book and give it a try. Unfortunately, I was not a fan of either of these stories.

Honor Bound is the first book in the bind up, and revolves around a young woman named Aislinn who is kidnapped by an escaped convict who happens to be an American Indian. Though she is frightened, she is somewhat enamored with Lucas, the convict. Of course, a love story ensues from there.

The other story is Two Alone, which revolves around Rusty and Cooper, the two lone survivors of an airplane crash. They rely on each other to survive in the woods until they can be rescued, and (you guessed it) a romance begins between the two.

These books were both written in the late 1980s, and are definitely products of their time. I think the stories were very cliché, and featured women in helpless roles, with men powering over them at all times. Even without the romance scenes, I really disliked how the women in these novels are portrayed. It also bothered me how these stories both touched on very serious topics, but just glided over them to get to the love scenes. While a happy ending can be nice, they were just extremely cheesy in these books and didn't necessarily wrap up the stories properly.

Suffice it to say that I don't recommend this book unless you really enjoy romance novels. I ended up giving this bind-up a 2 out of 5 stars on Goodreads, because I understand that these books are definitely a product of the late 1980s, and thus may have been received differently during their original release.

Do you read romance novels? Let me know what you think of this genre in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment