Friday, May 13, 2011

Broadway | The Lion King

As many broadway fans know, getting tickets to see The Lion King at an affordable price is nearly impossible. Thankfully, my internship program gets the opportunity to do one "cultural" event during our semester, and we talked our residence director into bringing us to see the show. The Lion King is definitely what I would call "broadway royalty." The show has been playing forever, and since it's a product of Disney, you know it's going to be a lavish production. I was blown away by the intricate costumes and beautiful set. They were definitely the best I have seen so far. What I found shocking, however, was that I wasn't truly amazed by the performers.

During the first act, I felt a little disappointed. Many of the actors including Scar, Timon, and Pumba, had speaking voices that perfectly matched their respectable characters from the film version of The Lion King. The vocals, however, were certainly not broadway material. Likewise, I wished Young Simba and Young Nala had stronger singing voices as well. Sure, they're just kids, but a lot of broadway kids have amazing voices (think Carly Rose Sonenclar from Wonderland). I was much happier during the second act when Simba and Nala came out with great voices. 

All in all, I'm glad I got to see The Lion King without spending any of my own money! We were seated in the back of the center orchestra, and our tickets were $142! Outrageous! If you can afford to drop that much (and more) on a ticket, you won't be disappointed. Of course, this show is great for families with children of any age.

Can't afford tickets? Hakuna Matata! There are plenty of other shows that offer discounts at TKTS and have rush policies. Make sure to check out my other blog entries for more information. You can also view a great blog called Broadway Informer for more in depth info.

No comments:

Post a Comment